Saturday, February 14, 2009

Podacasts With........Um.........Class!!

After listening to 2 podcasts by former students of Dr. Strange's EDM 310 classes (Fall 2008), I felt much more confident in what to do with my own podcast (in terms of format and content) - as well as what not to do (which I will address in the next paragraph). The first podcast ("Youtube For Educational Purposes"-Graham, Shipman, and Kelly) focuses on using Youtube (a popular web-video site) as not only a way of watching music videos, comedy sketches, and movie trailers - the podcast demonstrates how the popular site can be used in online educational intruction (yet another way of bringing education to the masses). The second podcast ("Facebook In An Educational Setting"-Midgette and Bethel) discusses the use of Facebook as a way of meeting tutors and instructors by viewing user profiles and networking. According to Wikipedia. com, Facebook is "a free-access social networking website". Both of these podcasts provide in depth information on ways to implement both of these highly viewed sites as bridges between education and technology.

Though both podcasts are well organized and informative, I felt that the words "uh" and "um" popped up way to much during the recorded sessions. Used sparingly, these words aren't quite as bothersome (as an occasional vocal "pause"). However, the two podcasts overuse the words - making the podcasts sound somewhat annoying at times. By eliminating such words from future podcasts, perhaps listeners will be more attentive to the content - rather than to the mere "delivery". When I begin to make my own podcast, I will apply what I have learned from the two previously mentioned podcasts - in hopes that my final product will be better than my predecessors'.

No comments:

Post a Comment