Saturday, February 28, 2009

Can Wiki Be Trusted?

After reading much information concerning the level of trust one should have when citing Wikipedia.com as a valid source of information, I have decided that I will use other sources of information (instead of Wiki) from now on - such as ACTUAL ENCYCLOPEDIAS (hardcover). Throughout my time as a college student, I have used Wiki as a valid source of information (with permission from my instructors/professors, of course). Though at this point, I have no choice but to find more substantial sources of information for future research.

Perhaps one day, Wikipedia may follow the path other "trusted" web-based encyclopedias have traveled for many years (such as Britannica or World Book) - instead of allowing just about any Tom, Dick, or Sally to edit information any way he or she sees fit. Just because something is free, doesn't mean its guaranteed (in this case, factual information). Even though Mr. Griffith developed the Wikipedia Scanner - which indeed is a step in the right direction for the site - I feel that Wikipedia.com should follow in the footsteps of its previously mentioned fore bearers. If they should accomplish such a feat, perhaps they to will begin a legacy as a "trusted" source of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment