Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Critique of 4 Podcasts: Spring '09 EDM 310 Classes

Throughout the semester, I have listened to various podcasts done by our class (Monday night), as well as other EDM 310 classes (all of which are taught by Dr. John Strange). All in all, I thought that everyone did an excellent podcast, with very few mistakes.

I thought that the podcast done by Lauren Roberts, Kimberly White, and Dr. John Strange entitled "Burp Back Education: A Discussion with Dr. John Strange was done quite well. As the podcast began, I could tell that the subject matter would be quite interesting. The bulk of the podcast focused on a Strange term - "burp back" education. Throughout the podcast, Kimberly and Lauren questioned Dr. Strange about the origins of his term, and how it had impacted his life (in a negative way) - as well as the best way to combat it. The threesome also discussed ways in which education and technology, in time, will eventually replace outdated, pricey forms of curriculum - such as the textbook. Other than a little nervousness heard at the beginning of the podcast (which though audible, is completely excusable - especially considering that it was the first time these students had ever done a podcast, in addition to the fact that most of the podcasts had some sort of "nervous tic" ) the interview went off without a hitch. It was very well done.

The podcast done by Keith Grace and Megan Bass entitled "Randy Pausch's Teaching Techniques" was another excellent podcast. Both Keith and Megan spoke of Pausch's inspirational and motivational teaching methods -- especially those that concern overcoming obstacles (or, as the late Pausch called them, "brickwalls"). Overall, I thought the the podcast was interesting and informative - with a very natural flow and rhythm all of it's own (this could also be attributed to the fact that only two people were involved in recording the podcast, making it seem more intimate and conversational).

Of the two podcasts I participated in, I will be most critical (especially in terms of my own performance). The first podcast I participated in (along with Michael Curry and Richard Garriga) was entitled "International Blogs and Other Resources". The only complaints that I have about this podcast are that it went a little bit off of the original format (of which I was not prepared for, resulting in my being caught off guard) and my "breathy" delivery of questions and answers. The second podcast I participated in (along with Anthony Capps, Hannah Rogers, and Mrs. Angela Rand) was entitled "Interview with Mrs. Angela Rand". Once again, I feel that my performance could have been a little more "lifelike" and not as scripted - more conversational. However, I feel that the other participants did a great job in helping me keep my composure. And most importantly, I feel that the podcasts convey a great deal of important information that can be beneficial to both educators and students - as do all of this semesters podcasts (at least the ones that I heard).

No comments:

Post a Comment