Saturday, April 25, 2009

Making An Effort to Learn About Twitter

I think I have made an honest effort to learn about Twitter (given the time I have allotted toward constructive research of the site). On the site, I have created my own page. Within this page, one can see that I am "following" or being followed by various types of professionals - from actors to educators and fellow students. A person might also notice the Twitter moniker that I bestowed on myself, the alter ego "basseraser". I have also used a preset background (a few seagulls flying in a brown sky) that pays tribute to the 80s new-wave band A Flock of Seagulls, as well as to Richard Bach's immortal novel Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

In so far as learning about Twitter, I have learned how to view others "tweets", how to send indirect and direct messages (coincidentally, I just sent a direct message a few minutes ago), and how to add links to other websites via Twitter. I have also referred to the class blog page. Throughout the blog (within various posts and links), one can find such detailed twitter information about "sharing ideas and getting instant feedback", how to engage in stimulating/relevant conversations about topics in just 15 minutes, and tips that can give anyone using Twitter a huge advantage (especially in terms of knowing and understanding Twitter terminology). Again, these tips can be found at the class blog page.

Often times, the only time I would read a tweet is when it was posted by a classmate or by Dr. Strange or another professional educator. Of the actors I followed, I thought that maybe they would shed some light on their everyday lives (to my dismay, however, most of the time they are just promoting new or upcoming movies that they will be starring in). As far as private messages are concerned, I have only sent those to classmates (most of the time as a response to an email link to the site). Publicly speaking, I have sent tweets to those who I have followed or want to follow. In most cases, I have not received any type of reply (Samuel L. Jackson and fellow classmates/instructors being the exception).

Overall, my feelings and thoughts about Twitter are of a "lukewarm" nature. Instant gratification is definitely not a realistic goal when first using the site. As many so-called experts have often said, "It takes time and practice...". This is probably the biggest drawback of the site. Other than that (and the 140 character limitation), I think that the site has great potential, especially in terms of helping to propel the education and technology movement forward. As a teacher or educator, there are many beneficial ways in which one can use Twitter (these ways can be found on my Professional Blog. As a typical individual, Twitter can be used as a tool to link someone to information quickly, a web-based poster board or reminder for upcoming scheduled (or unscheduled) events and dates, or as a way to stay in touch with friends, relatives, and personal and professional contacts.

Though I am still a novice Twitter user, I feel that in time I will acquire the skills needed to be (at least) a intermediate level user. Hopefully, by the time I have become a teacher, I will be proficient enough to use the site not only as a way of establishing contacts or dropping suggestions, reminders and other messages - but also as a way of supporting and promoting the use of education and technology as one. One goal that I have concerning the educational implementation of Twitter is that I will successfully use its features to stay on top of students questions, upcoming activities, and parental concerns involving their child's education - regardless of where I am teaching. I will add this unique tool to my ever-expanding arsenal of web-based educational technologies, in hopes that I will come into the world of teaching ready for anything...

1 comment:

  1. Jonas,
    You and I used some of the same analagies in our summarization of Twitter. I liked your honesty concerning the use (especially your initial thoughts on Twitter). Like you, I agree it has potential. Perhaps as time goes by we can gain a greater understanding of not only this tool but others like it. Take care Richard

    ReplyDelete